Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

MISSING IN ACTION (USA/Philippines, 1984)

aka To Døgn i Helvede

I watched Joseph Zito's MISSING IN ACTION for the first time last night. The funny thing is I've always avoided these movies as I had the impression they were too "big", too polished. It was a notion that all came from the splatter movie days when everything less gory than, say, RE-ANIMATOR was considered "weak". Well, you live and learn. MISSING IN ACTION (MIA) turned out to be very entertaining and I had multo fun watching it!

I always thought these films were fully American but actually (altho produced with US money) it was filmed in the Philippines and so were the two sequels. I never knew this till I began reading Andrew Leavold's and Bert Spoor's blogs! Hell, Bert Spoor was in this movie! Read his account of it here.



Compared to the "normal" low budget trashy Vietnam War flicks I usually watch it was kind of the same but the budget was clearly quite a bit bigger. And, hell, there's a woman in it. I mean, a woman who actually has quite a bit of dialogue and isn't kidnapped or killed off right away, LOL. She doesn't quite become a love interest tho.

Oh, and one more difference: This is actually out on a good DVD!! Imagine that! Fully letterboxed and nice sharp picture. There are various DVDs actually but I just bought the cheap local Danish release from On-Air Video (it's also out from MGM). Apart from some useless filmographies the only extra material is the trailer for the film but that's alright (actually it's rather good as some of the versions from other countries, including the UK, don't even have the trailer!). The DVD has one slightly irritating defect; in the left corner just above the picture you can see where the top of the film roll is running. As I said; annoying for a bit but you soon forget about it.

I'm definitely gonna get the two sequels (surprisingly entitled MIA 2 and MIA 3, haha). Check out the trailer below.









MISSING IN ACTION 2 trailer:


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar