First off, I would like to wish Steve Garvey a happy birthday. Mr. Garvey turns 72 this year. It's a little odd to me to consider the fact that at this point, he has been out of baseball longer than he played. I have been a fan since 1978 and began collecting Garvey cards and memorabilia over 40 years ago and would like to think I have a pretty impressive collection of items. Every once in a while though, an item comes up for sale that I have never seen before. This is not a common occurrence and a cause for great excitement, but more on that shortly.
I started this blog in early 2010 and when Christmas rolled around, I found myself in the hospital unexpectedly. I did not have computer access, so when I was discharged a few days later, I made my inaugural belated happy birthday wishes public and have continued that tradition for 10 years now. I looked back on the blog and saw that early on, I was very active, updating daily, sometimes twice a day. That did not continue and as the years passed and other things always seemed to get in the way, sometimes months would pass without any new entries. In the last couple of years, it seems my posts focus on reporting the deaths of former Dodgers players, specifically the former Brooklyn players. Not exactly a fun blog topic, but one that is a reality. I will continue to do that, but would like to sprinkle in more collecting content too. However, one thing I never seemed to miss was this annual Happy Birthday wish for Steve Garvey. Maybe he has never seen a single one, but I continue to do so regardless.
With that, back to the item never before seen! A couple weeks ago, I happened to spot an ebay listing that included 2 Steve Garvey cards. One was a 1982 Fleer card, probably my least favorite Garvey card of all, and another card that I did not recognize. In 2020, it has become pretty commonplace to see custom cards being created and sold. Everyone thinks they can do better than the card makers with a few photos and a computer program. Sometimes, the creations are impressive, other times it is recycled garbage. Still, as an avid collector, I have tried to obtain the better customs for my collection, knowing they will not have a great collector value, but because i truly enjoy collecting the cards and like the unique. This card was different though. It was clearly a professionally made card, but for what reason?
As I looked deeper into that mystery listing, I could see that this card had the appearance of a custom, but done better than most. For starters it had a logo on the front. The logo stated 2000 All-Star Team Weiser - Weiser Litho. Clearly, custom card makers at large do not include their own logos. Most of what they are creating is for fun, but there are licensing issues to consider as well if these cards are being sold.
It was not copying a previous card design either, something that has become very popular but shows a real lack of creativity, such as a new 1971 Topps card with a different photo. This card showed a nice game action photo of Garvey swinging and had a simple white border and a black stripe at bottom with his name in gold letters and the words "Clutch Performer" in white letters. It's not a common photo, but has been seen elsewhere. It was used for one of the team issue 8x10 photos.
As I checked out the back of the card closer, it became apparent, at least to me, that this card was used as some sort of personal appearance promotion piece. The company name was also displayed prominently. Weiser Litho, Inc of Westlake Village, California. Again, custom card makers today are not providing their contact information on a card that is not licensed and should not be sold. Unfortunately a google maps search shows me this is an auto body shop now.
The text mentions Garvey being drafted in June 2000, which is clearly not related to his baseball career. Later, it mentions Garvey being a special guest of Weiser Litho. What helped seal the deal was that this card was hand signed by Garvey as well. To me, it made perfect sense. Garvey was either hired by Weiser Litho to make a personal appearance or was affiliated to some degree and perhaps they had the right to use his likeness is some advertisements.
Since Weiser Litho was a printing company, they had the tools and skill set to create a card professionally. I can imagine them printing up a few sheets of these cards and giving them out at a trade show or corporate event, where Garvey had been hired to be a guest/speaker/signer. Promotional items, such as cards, postcards & photos are not uncommon and often these pieces are not widely distributed. I have featured a few others from my collection that were clearly made for and given out at specific events. Most people attending these types of events are not hardcore collectors, so the items are probably saved as keepsakes and don't see the market for a long time, if ever. It can be extremely difficult to find or obtain some of these specialty items if you did not attend the event. Another scenario I had play out in my head was that Weiser Litho was a small company and somehow had a personal connection to Garvey. I imagined Garvey making an appearance at a company party or picnic, where only a handful of employees and their families attended and these cards were a special gift for those employees/family never meant to see the light of day outside of he Weiser circle.
After collecting cards for the last 40 years, I know that items are often un-cataloged. So many different items are made and issued over the years and with mystery items being printed in magazines & newspapers, handed out at minor league games, promotional events and other local means of distribution that are never even known at a national level, everything can't be recognized. i am fairly certain that this card was never meant for any large scale distribution and would never fall onto the radar of a card cataloger like Beckett or Krause. In all likelihood, it's history will remain a mystery.
A quick internet search did not lead me to any more information regarding a partnership between Weiser Litho and Steve Garvey. I am not even sure the business is still active, it appears not, but I would love to know more. It seems Paula G. Weiser was the principal/owner. Her name pops up on a search and I did not spent a great deal of time looking, but that really didn't lead anywhere either. Perhaps someone who knows Paula or a person who works/worked there sees this and could fill in some gaps or put me in touch with someone who may know more? As with any unique and oddball item, my key questions are always: How many of these cards were initially made? What was their original purpose and means of distribution? Do unsigned copies exist as well?
Here is to hoping the internet can help solve yet one more small mystery. Until then, this is the only copy of this card I have ever seen and this would be my first actual awareness of an item that was apparently issued 20 years ago, by a now defunct company of my favorite baseball player, Steve Garvey!





0 Yorumlar