Ruth Andrew Ellenson of The New York Times spent a night out with James Ellroy (pictured at left, on the spot where Elizabeth "The Black Dahlia" Short's body was discovered). After downing his signature drink (four shots of espresso in a single coffee mug, ice) and joking around with his closest friend, novelist Bruce Wagner, Ellroy allows a disturbing truth to come to light:“My mother’s cooler than yours,” countered Mr. Ellroy.(Somebody'd better check the Kansas phone directories for one "Geneva Hilliker Ellroy," just in case.)
“Watch, you’ll be the new James Frey,” was Mr. Wagner’s quick retort, referring to the memoirist who fabricated parts of his autobiography. “James Ellroy’s mother wasn’t murdered. She’s happy and living in Kansas.”
Also in today's Times: Sara Gran's funny essay about being a writer in Brooklyn, where apparently you can throw a rock and hit a writer, then watch three other writers rush to her aid. (She's dead-on. Hell, even I used to live in Brooklyn.)
And in next week's Times (did I mention this blog post was brought to you by The New York Times?): Michael Connelly's new serial begins. After years of reading the paper online, this serial prompted me to subscribe to the NYT at long last. (I regret not doing it with the Elmore Leonard serial.) I don't want to curl up with my monitor on a lazy Sunday afternoon; I want to savor these installments in print. I can't wait.

0 Yorumlar